I am currently editing a story that deals with Arthurian Legend. It gets progressivly longer which sort of defeats the purpose of editing but I digress. I have never been more excited about this story than the last couple of days. As the title of this post indicates, I have not made the progress I originally envisoned. The should not come as a surprise to me as authors are famous for getting distracted by the Internet and I am no exception. This post is here to try and justify why I have been unproductive.
1. Rick Yancey: I am blaming my editing woes on one of my favorite authors. It took me to about page 5-ish of his novel The Monstrumologist to realize I was in love. Well, recently I learned he wrote another series that sounded interesting, the Alfred Kropp series. Well, I started that book yesterday and I’m on page 170.
2. Shopping: I mean, come on. It was the weekend. My whole family went out. I think this explains itself.
3. The Ocean: Same deal as above. My family was going to the ocean. And I, like the dutiful writer I am said, “No, I’m not going to the beach, I’m going to sit in front of my computer and edit this story I’ve read three times already.” Yeah…that didn’t happen.
4. TV/Movies/Sports: Falling Skies was new last night. I figured, whatever, it’s just one hour. When I watch a TV show, I watch every episode. Even Smallville. That’s right, I’ve seen every episode of Smallville, all 10 seasons. Anyways, later that night, my sister and I wanted to watch a horror movie. Dawn of the Dead got pulled from the bag. It was actually pretty good and *spoilers* Kevin Zegers was in it and he lived till the end Yea! *end spoilers* Tonight Teen Wolf is on. And think, this is summer TV. Just wait until the fall when like 6 shows come back. Also, I’m a die-hard NASCAR fan. There was a race on yesterday and I cannot express how perfect it went. I may do an entire off-topic post about it later. Let’s just say I bleed Jeff Gordon’s colors and he won!
5. Another Story: I know, I know. Red Flag! Red Flag! This girl can’t work on one story at a time! She’ll never get anything published! Not true! My sister, who is also a writer (follow her at http://ideastoworlds.wordpress.com/) (see what I did there? see what a great sister I am?), and I are working on a story together. I highly do not advise you ever try to write a story with someone you live with. Though, when we’re talking with the 7 different directors who want to turn out story into a movie, we’ll laugh at all the little squabbles we had over extremely important things like whether Isis is 16 or 17 (I’m not kidding). Anyways, right now we are making real progress and we haven’t fought about something in a few days so that may be a new record!
So, am I forgiven for not editing as much as I should have yet?